Grandparents' Rights In Missouri

Visitation and custody rights for grandparents in Missouri are quite limited, and you should be sure to consult with a knowledgeable family law attorney to gain a full understanding of your rights. Grandparent visitation and custody rights will only be ordered if a filing is in the best interests of a child, and the court may appoint an investigator (who may conduct a home study) to make such a determination.

At Lance A. Riddle Law Office, Attorneys at Law, we fully understand the concerns of grandparents for their grandchildren. We are staunch advocates for our clients, but we are also straightforward and realistic with people wishing to secure grandparents' rights. Our family law attorneys in Warrensburg have represented and advised clients throughout Johnson County and surrounding areas.

Grandparents' Visitation Rights

You may secure visitation rights to your grandchild that override the objections of parents in the following limited situations:

  1. The child's parents have filed for divorce or legal separation.
  2. One of the child's parents has died and the surviving parent denies you reasonable visitation rights.
  3. The child has lived with you, as the grandparent, for at least six months within a two-year period immediately preceding the filing for visitation rights.
  4. You, as the grandparent, are unreasonably denied visitation with the child for 90 days or more.

However, if the child's parents are legally married to each other and living together with the child, you may not file for visitation rights.

Obtaining Grandparent Custody In Missouri

If your grandchild's parents get divorced, the Family Court must find that:

  1. Each parent is unfit, unsuitable or unable to become a custodian.
  2. Grandparent custody is in the child's best interests.

We can help to prove your case for custody of your grandchild. Our team will help you show the Court that you can provide an adequate and stable environment to raise and care for your grandchild under the circumstances described above and if your grandchild is placed in foster care.

Additionally, we can defend your custody rights if the child's parents seek to regain custody at a later date.

Speak With A Lawyer Today

Please call our office in Warrensburg at 660-747-6600, or complete our online contact form to get in touch with a lawyer who can help you right away. We offer free initial consultations.